Parenting Journey I | Parenting Journey II | Parenting in America
Parenting Journey offers intensive 5-day facilitator trainings for professionals interested in implementing Parenting Journey programs at their agency. Facilitator trainings are offered in multiple locations to make it easy for participants. Parenting Journey regularly offers trainings onsite at our offices in Somerville, MA and New York, NY, but you don’t have to travel to Massachusetts or New York to provide your staff with the tools they need to join our family of practitioners. Our replication service can provide onsite training in our programs to qualifying organizations, so that you can deliver our programs to the families in your care. Contact Parenting Journey to learn more.View Upcoming Training Dates
Parenting Journey Works!
Parenting Journey and the Strengthening Families Protective Factors Framework
Our program curricula address the fundamental needs of parents in a positive, strengths-based way.
- Parental Resilience – Parents who are emotionally resilient have a positive attitude, creatively solve problems, effectively address challenges, and are less likely to direct anger and frustration at their children. Over the course of the 12 sessions, parents are coached in goal setting and problem solving, and learn ways to deal with stress and manage unexpected situations.
- Social Connections – Networks of support are essential to parents. The group-based design of our programs helps parents build their own social network.
- Concrete Support in Times of Need – Parents need basic resources such as food, clothing, housing, transportation, and health care to ensure the health and well-being of their children. During each group, facilitators share contact information for community resources that are available and identify situations requiring special assistance.
- Knowledge of Parenting and Child Development – Appropriate expectations for children’s behavior at every age help parents see them in a positive light and promote their healthy development. We help participants in our programs set those expectations and guide parents to focus on the attitudes, skills, and practices that have a positive impact on their children.
- Social and Emotional Competence of Children – Just like learning to walk, talk, or read, children must also learn to identify and express emotions effectively. In each session, parents practice routines that help them model consistent and respectful behaviors at home.
- Nurturing and Attachment – Early experience of being nurtured and developing a bond with a caring adult affects all aspects of a child’s behavior and development. The Parenting Journey teaches parents skills that promote loving and nurturing, and foster bonding and a sense of security.
The Massachusetts Children’s Trust Fund has recognized Parenting Journey as a model parenting program.
The New York City Administration for Children’s Services has selected Parenting Journey as one of its evidence-informed and promising practice models for parenting education and support.