Transforming Our Communities through Civic Engagement
Presented byOctober 22, 2019 | 8 a.m. – 11 a.m. | The UMass Club
Parenting Journey’s second annual Social and Family Justice Institute will reconvene cross-sector stakeholders and partners to continue last year’s conversation around uplifting parents and cultivating leadership.
Building on last year’s theme, Harnessing Parent Power for Change, speakers at this year’s institute will focus on Transforming Our Communities through Civic Engagement.
Join like-minded professionals from non-profits, government agencies, philanthropic foundations, and corporations to address systems in our society that disproportionately affect people of color, low-income families, and immigrants.
- Imari Paris Jeffries, executive director, Parenting Journey
- Marty Meehan, president, The University of Massachusetts
Harnessing Community Power for Social Change
- Meghan Irons, reporter, The Boston Globe (moderator)
- Sheena Collier, director of economic opportunity, Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce and founder and CEO, The Collier Connection
- Mac D’Alessandro, executive director and campaign manager, Voter Choice Massachusetts
- Betty Francisco, general counsel, Compass Working Capital and co-founder, Latina Circle and Amplify Latinx
- Segun Idowu, executive director, Black Economic Council of Massachusetts, Inc.
Progressive Policy Making: Reclaiming ‘Family Values’
A broadcasted conversation sponsored by State House News Service
- Robert Lewis Jr., founder and president, The Base
- State Representative Jim O’Day
- Michael Curry, Esq., senior vice president of government affairs and public policy and general counsel, Massachusetts League of Community Health Centers and immediate past president, Boston Branch of the NAACP
UMass Club | 1 Beacon St., 33rd Floor | Boston | MA | 02108
- Parking is available for members and guests at One Beacon Street. It can be a bit tricky to find the entrance so please follow these directions: Come to the Club via Cambridge St. (which becomes Tremont St. just past City Hall). Stay to the right and look for a sign for the PIPERI restaurant on the right. Enter the garage right before the sign and stay to the left to enter the One Beacon Street Garage.
- The Club is accessible via public transportation:
.6 miles from South Station
.7 miles from North Station
.2 miles from State Street Station (orange line and blue line)
.2 miles from Park Street Station (red line and green line)
.3 miles from Downtown Crossing Station (orange line and red line)
Thank you to our sponsors!
Email Anna Yanco-Papa for more information.