Parenting Journey envisions a world where all families can thrive, no matter their race or socioeconomic background. Our work is inspired by the belief that strong families are the foundation of vibrant healthy communities and the catalyst to ignite social change. We are dedicated to providing programs that uplift parents and caregivers and strengthen families and communities, advocating for equitable family policies, and disrupting the social narrative around parenting in poverty.
As part of this work, we’re proud to have our advocacy guided by the parents we work with. Parenting Journey’s Parent Advisory Council is comprised of parents and caregivers who participated in at least one Parenting Journey group, are committed to creating a more equitable society in which all families thrive, and reflect the diversity of the parents with whom we partner. The Parent Advisory Council resolves to lead efforts among our parents, staff, board, and supporters to fight for policies that tear down systems of oppression.
Based on the research and lived experiences of our parents, we are excited to introduce our Parents’ Bill of Rights. This living document will inform based on the needs of our parents and inform our advocacy efforts.
For example, Parenting Journey endorsed the Raise Up Massachusetts campaign for a $15 minimum wage and paid family and medical leave because of the economic inequity faced by some of the families we work with and our shared belief that everyone deserves to earn a living wage and paid leave. Our parents are so committed to winning on this issue, they just hit the streets a couple of weeks ago to gather signature to make sure these issues are on the ballot in November!
Check out our full Parents’ Bill of Rights below and add your name to show your support!
Parents’ Bill of Rights
We as parents & caregivers deserve to raise our children in vibrant communities. We all deserve:
- to live in a vibrant community where we are safe;
- to access nutritious and affordable food in our community;
- to live in an affordable home that meets livable standards; and
- to send our children to safe, high-quality schools in our neighborhoods.
We as parents & caregivers deserve the ability to support our families. We all deserve:
- paid time off to care for a new child or sick family member;
- comprehensive healthcare that is affordable for our whole family and includes:
- Mental health care, including substance use treatment and prevention services, and
- Reproductive health care;
- high quality and affordable childcare; and
- living wages.
We as parents & caregivers deserve to raise our children with the culture and values that reflect our diversity. We all deserve:
- comprehensive immigration policies that keep families together; and
- family-centered policies that prevent discrimination based on sexuality, gender, race or socioeconomic status.