We are committed to partnering with families to build vibrant communities.
- When parents and caregivers believe they have power, they are better equipped to engage with their families and communities.
- We advocate for equitable policies that benefit all families.
- We disrupt the social narrative about parenting in poverty.
We recognize that inequity adds to the everyday stressors of parenting, perpetuates cycles of poverty and trauma, and prevents parents from planning the futures they, and their families, deserve.
- Inspire families to embody their power, and lead change in their lives, families, and communities.
- We seek to create opportunity systems that acknowledge the intersection of economic justice and parenting, focusing on policies that promote economic security:
- reliable jobs with living wages,
- access to affordable housing in safe and vibrant communities; and
- workplace policies and protections that reflect the diverse needs of families.
- We also advocate for policies which create opportunities and eliminate institutional barriers for all families.
Parent Advisory Council
Parenting Journey’s advocacy is guided by our Parents’ Bill of Rights – principles developed by our Parent Advisory Council. The Council is comprised of parents and caregivers who participated in at least one Parenting Journey group, are committed to creating a more equitable society in which all families thrive, and reflect the diversity of the parents with whom we partner. The Parent Advisory Council resolves to lead efforts among our parents, staff, board, and supporters to fight for policies that tear down systems of oppression.
If you are interested in getting involved with the Parent Advisory Council, please email Director of External Affairs Kevin Gilnack.
2019-2020 Legislative Agenda
** ACTION ALERT: Learn about our cosponsorship drive and ask your legislators to stand with families! **
- An Act Relative to Affordable and Accessible High Quality Early Education and Care cosponsored by Sen. Cindy Friedman and Rep. Ken Gordon (SD 1744 / HD 1879)
- An Act Supporting Parents Running for Public Office sponsored by Sen. Patricia Jehlen (SD 304)
- An Act supporting affordable housing with a local option for a fee to be applied to certain real estate transactions cosponsored by Sen. Joseph Boncore and Rep. Mike Connolly (SD 334 / HD 414)
- An Act Providing for Coordinated Data and Assistance to Address Family Homelessness sponsored by Sen. Joanne Comerford (SD 1433)
ECONOMIC & EMPLOYMENT
- An Act Relative to the Scheduling of Employees sponsored by Sen. Marc Pacheco (SD 1881)
- An Act Relative to Well-Being and Care of a Child cosponsored by Sen. Sal DiDomenico and Rep. Marjorie Decker (SD 1452 / HD 3043)
- An Act to Lift Kids Out of Deep Poverty cosponsored by Sen. Sal DiDomenico and Rep. Marjorie Decker (SD 1328 / HD 2367)
- An Act Relative to Economic Mobility for Families with Low-Income cosponsored by Sen. Jason Lewis and Rep. Aaron Vega (SD 910 / HD 2519)
- Loan Repayment Program benefiting Social Workers cosponsored by Sen. Eric Lesser, Reps. Jeff Roy & Smitty Pignatelli (SD 1325 / HD 662)
- Work and Family Mobility Act cosponsored by Sen. Brendan Crighton and Rep. Tricia Farley-Bouvier (SD 1143 / HD 1719)
- Safe Communities Act cosponsored by Sen. Jamie Eldridge and Reps. Ruth Balser and Liz Miranda (SD 926 / HD 1520)
REVENUE, EDUCATION, & TRANSPORTATION
- Fair Share Amendment cosponsored by Sen. Jason Lewis and Rep. Jim O’Day (SD 1709 / HD 3300)